Monday, June 27, 2016

Booked by Kwame Alexander (M Miller)



     What can I say? I love kids' books and I love YA...maybe that is just another reason why I love my job! Booked, by Newbery author Alexander, is another great story. Again, like The Crossover, it is a story written in verse ; but this time it is about a boy, Nick, who loves the game of soccer. Life is hard at the moment because his parents have split up, he is being bullied and his father continues to make him read the dictionary he has written. Nick is a bright kid but he can't get away from feeling sorry for himself, although sometimes there is good reason. But, with the help of a counselor and the people who care about him, he learns to cope and readers know he will be okay. 

     I love his librarian, Mr. Mac! I love all the vocab readers get as the read and learn with Nick! This is a great, quick read for middle school aged kids looking for stories about soccer, school, friendship, families, or books in verse!

No comments:

Post a Comment